Get accessBeing your own boss and starting a business is a very enticing idea — especially when jobs are hard to find and decent paychecks seem few and far between. In theory, running your own business means you can generate income without the benefit of a traditional job and a consistent paycheck. In reality, however, entrepreneurial success requires specific attitudes, values, habits, qualities, personality traits, and skills. Here’s a list of some of the more important ones:
- Strong work ethic: Running your own business is anything but easy, but if you get a sense of accomplishment from it, then it can be satisfying and profitable. There are a lot of details that need to be attended to, though, and business survival depends on being conscientious, service oriented, and mentally focused.
- Good communication skills: Starting your own business and building a customer base requires you to clearly communicate to your prospects the advantages of choosing your products or services over the competition. Clearly spelling out what clients can expect from doing business with you — and then meeting or exceeding those expectations — is one of the cornerstones of building a successful business. One way to present yourself in a professional way and gain a competitive advantage is to prepare detailed, well organized business proposals — especially if you’re targeting commercial clients. If you’d like to learn more about proposal writing and the impact of using well-prepared business proposals, read the article “It’s All About Trust.”*
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude: The energy and attitude you project to clients and prospects has a direct bearing on your credibility, your likeability, and your sales effectiveness. A positive attitude will also fuel your motivation to market your business on a consistent basis and provide people with superior customer service.
Take The First Steps to Self Employment
Three of the biggest obstacles to starting your own business are fear of failure, a lack of clarity, and not having a specific plan for getting started and following through. When you have reliable information, guidance, and proven strategies that have worked for others, your chances for success are greatly enhanced. Below are some free or affordable resources* that can provide you with the plans, techniques, and inspiration to propel you forward toward your business and financial goals.
- Start Your Own Craft Business. Free Report: Top 10 Questions Answered
- How to make money as a flea market vendor: 9 video lessons and e-book
- Turn your hobby into a business: How to sell jewelry, paintings, crafts, pottery
- Knitting for Profit: 6 proven strategies
- Starting a home-based candy bouquet business
- Free e-course: Tips for making your own bath and body products for fun and profit
- Fun, low-cost business idea: Starting your own Italian Ice cart business
- Get paid to teach online: Get access to video tutorials and private database of online teaching jobs
Thanks for checking out my latest ideas on self employment, starting a small business, and small business marketing.
Stay tuned for new blog posts on entrepreneurship, small business marketing strategies, and cultivating an entrepreneurial mindset.
Best of luck in all your business startups and self employment endeavors!
Business blogger, entrepreneur, freelance writer
*Disclaimer: I am a compensated affiliate of many of the small business marketing tools, informational products and business services mentioned and linked to in my blog posts.