Millions of people are thinking of starting their own business, right now.
Unfortunately, the majority of them are going to procrastinate, talk about it endlessly, and ultimately do little or nothing about their lofty goals.
So “Why,” you may be wondering, would the year 2017 be a good time to take action on your goal to be your own boss… or at least create a nice part-time business to supplement your present income (and set the stage for more financial freedom, security, and independence in the future”)?
Here are a few of my off-the-cuff thoughts on that very subject:
- 2017 is a new year, a fresh beginning, and a clean slate!
- Well, if not now, when?
- Hey, you’re not getting any younger! 😉
- Ride the wave of your motivation at the beginning of the new year. It’s one of your most powerful resources, so tap into it while it’s at its peak. As the year progresses, your motivation to start a business may wane, so now may be the best time to take the plunge and allow your motivation to propel you forward. (It’s a winner’s strategy for “going with the flow.”)
- If you try to plan for every contingency and anticipate every possible problem, you’ll soon be suffering from a case of “analysis paralysis”! (I didn’t coin that phrase, but it’s a good one. Most people experience it at one time or another.) If you think about starting your own business for too long without doing anything about it, you’ll most likely talk yourself out of it. (Picture in your mind the image of a car spinning its wheels on the ice or in the mud. That’s you when you overthink something!) While an entrepreneur should do some basic planning and only take calculated risks before getting started, there is such a thing as “over planning” and “overthinking”! (Side note: In 2017, take personal responsibility for your life and make a commitment to succeed. It is up to you to develop your business idea within a reasonable period of time, determine whether there’s actually a market for your products or services, write and implement a realistic marketing plan, and secure the resources you’ll need, such as startup capital, supplies and equipment, a vehicle, marketing materials, office space, training, staffing or support from freelancers (independent contractors) and any necessary licenses or permits.) Every type of business is unique, so starting a business could either be complex and expensive or easy and cheap. It all depends on your goals and the business, industry, or profession you want to get into. Sometimes, starting a business is easy, but attracting customers and managing the day-to-day operation of the business is the challenging part.
- “He who hesitates is lost” — or, at least, is overtaken and left behind by those who are more decisive, ambitious, self-motivated, and goal oriented.
- There is no time like the present. Let’s face it: It is the only time you are capable of taking action, exerting power, and producing an outcome.
- In general, you will always be surrounded by opportunities — but specific ones will come and go. In other words, when opportunity knocks, answer the door — otherwise it (“opportunity”) will get sore knuckles and go somewhere else! If you listen closely to your entrepreneurial spirit, it will whisper this message to you: “Now is the time; this is your opportunity; and YOU are the one who can make it happen! Keep trying… believe in yourself… don’t give up, and you will be rewarded!“
- Conditions will never be absolutely perfect. If you wait for some future set of ideal circumstances to start your own business, chances are you’ll be waiting forever. If excuses are what you’re looking for, there’s never a shortage of them. The same principle applies to getting started in a business.
- Don’t forget… If you have a business idea that would serve the aging Baby Boomer generation, 2017 could be the ideal time to launch such an enterprise.
In 2017, there will be as many (or as few) opportunities to succeed in your own business as you think there are. As you contemplate your next move as an entrepreneur, remember the words of Dr.Wayne Dyer(1940-2015), one of my favorite inspirational authors and speakers:
“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change!”
(This saying has also been attributed to Max Planck, a German theoretical physicist, who, in 1918, won the Nobel Prize in physics for his groundbreaking and original ideas about quantum theory.)
I also encourage you to ask yourself this question every day:
“What would I do; what would I say; and what thoughts would I think if I knew I could not fail!”
On that note, I wish you the best of luck in all your entrepreneurial pursuits in 2017!
Entrepreneur, blogger, freelance writer
Creator of the website Marketing Survival Kit
Consider these small business marketing tools:*
- Proposal Kit: A user-friendly software package that includes business proposal templates, proposal-writing guidelines, sample business proposals, templates for contracts and services agreements, and other useful documents that will help you attract new clients, project a more professional image, and gain an advantage in competitive bidding situations. Learn more here about what a business proposal is, how it can benefit your bottom line, and why business proposal software can help put you ahead of the pack.
Feedback: If you have any questions or comments about my entrepreneurial ideas, any aspect of this blog, or my freelance writing services, feel free to contact me for more information.
*Disclaimer: I am a compensated affiliate of the proposal software, digital products, marketing services, and related websites featured in this blog.