The formula for small business success is relatively simple, but applying those steps and having the ability to follow through (over and over again) is the part that trips most people up!
The first step to starting a business or making extra money involves coming up with a viable idea. If you’re stuck at the starting gate when it comes to narrowing down the choices, here’s a list of some of the most popular business ideas to consider. Hopefully, the following list of entrepreneurial ideas will provide you with the inspiration and clarity to become gainfully self employed — either on a part-time or full-time basis.
- Cleaning (commercial and/or residential cleaning)
- Lawn care
- Non-emergency medical transportation
- Graphic design and/or Website deign
- Real estate
- Property preservation services
- T-shirt business
- Retail shop
- Event planning
- Computer repair
- eCommerce business (online retail business*)
- eBay business
- Jewelry business
- Pet-related businesses: Examples: pet sitting, pet boarding, dog walking, dog training, dog breeding, making and selling dog treats*
- Franchise business
- Food business, which could run the gamut from a food truck to a restaurant
- Home health care
- Personal training
- Carpentry/handyman services/contracting
- Interior design
- Interior/exterior house painting
- Payroll services/bookkeeping/accounting
- Tax services
- Medical billing and coding
- Vending machines
- Gym/health club/fitness facility
- Greeting cards
- Craft business
- Party bus business
- Carpet cleaning
- Daycare center
- Wholesale business
- Cake business/bakery/cookies/cupcakes
- Mobile oil change service
- Advertising/marketing services
- Junk removal
- Silk screening
- Import export business
- Security guard service
- Wedding planning
The good news about starting your own business is that there are countless business ideas from which to choose — many of which can be started for a few hundred dollars or less. The caveat that sometimes prevents would-be entrepreneurs from launching a great business idea is that success is never guaranteed and there’s always an element of risk in any business venture.
The best business ideas are based on a variety of factors, including how competitive the business environment is, the demand for the product or service you’re thinking of offering, your financial resources, business management ability, customer service skills, persistence, positivity, marketing knowledge, and a little bit of luck!
It also helps to get the advice and guidance of a trusted accountant, business insurance advisor, and business attorney.
The Right Marketing Tools* Can Make a Difference
To explore additional self employment options and business startup materials, check out my list of 250 business ideas
Stay tuned for more entrepreneurial insights.
Freelance writer, entrepreneur, business blogger
Contact me if you have any questions!
*Disclaimer: I am a compensated affiliate of some of the entrepreneurial products, services, software, marketing tools, and websites featured in this blog.