Although it’s entirely possible to make money without a job, not everyone has what it takes to make it happen on a consistent basis. It’s not enough to have a great idea for starting your own business. You also need to have the psychological resources to be able to identify a good business idea, create a plan to launch it, and then pursue that plan with motivation, (realistic) optimism, and mental focus.
When you start out with a good idea and then fuel it with positive intention and determination, your chances of succeeding are greatly enhanced. Although success is never guaranteed in any venture, one of the best ways to motivate yourself to try and put yourself out there is to remember the words of John Augustus Shedd, an early twentieth century American author and professor: “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”
So if you’re ready, willing, and able to take some calculated risks in order to the be the master of your fate and the captain of your soul (to borrow a quote from 19th-centery British poet William Ernest Henley), then here are some realistic ideas for starting your own business or simply making extra money on the side:
- Start an online business. Shopify* can get you started for free!
- A cleaning service is relatively simple and inexpensive to start.
- Photography is a creative field that offers a lot of potential opportunity
- A t-shirt business can be a fun, profitable way to make money. Here’s how*
- Lawn care and/or landscaping
- Catering, starting a food truck business, or selling produce
- Dog walking/pet-sitting business
- Real estate
- Event planning or party planning
- Starting an ebay business
- Making and selling jewelry, crafts, or pottery
- House painting
- Property preservation or property management
- Handyman services
- Becoming a personal trainer
- Pressure washing business
- Graphic designer and/or website designer
- Courier service
- Daycare business
- Pest control services
- Interior design and/or home staging
- Being a freelance writer, editor, or blogger
If you’ve been thinking about starting your own business or supplementing your income with a part-time gig on the side, there is no time like the present! As a matter of fact, the present moment is the only time you can take action.
Why not make 2019 the year you decided to take charge of your financial destiny?
Thanks for checking out my latest blog post.
Best of luck in all your business and personal endeavors!
Freelance writer, blogger, marketing consultant
BTW… I invite you to peruse other posts on this blog for additional business startup ideas, inspiration for entrepreneurs, and marketing strategies.
*Disclaimer: I am a compensated affiliate of the ecommerce platforms, website memberships, ebooks, online courses, and other products featured in this blog.