You can’t help but admire someone who is motivated to take charge of their life — financial and otherwise — and improve their economic security. I think that’s what side hustles are all about: the desire and willingness to use ones energy, available time, and resourcefulness to get ahead in life.
What exactly do I mean by “get ahead,” though?
Well those words mean different things to different people, but typically it means to make enough money to meet your essential needs and have enough extra money available to enjoy a degree of luxury and ensure a comfortable retirement. It’s also a good idea to create a financial cushion for unexpected expenses, special occasions (weddings, for example), and possibly helping out adult children and/or elderly parents.
On the other hand, when you leave your financial security to chance or believe it’s out of your control, you invite economic instability and a life that’s marked by shortfalls, indebtedness, and struggle.
How we respond to choices determines whether we live a life of abundance or scarcity. Metaphorically, the many choices with which we’re presented is like a long hallway of closed doors. Until we identify which doors will lead us in a positive direction — and then take decisive action, life will continue to dole out the same results (or lack, thereof), that it’s been producing for us.
So whether you’re a small business owner, a freelancer, a wage earner, or a salaried professional, there are always opportunities to earn extra money on the side — if you’ve identified that as a priority.
Granted, not everyone has the desire, energy, or need to look for sources of extra income, but for those who do, I offer this list of potential side hustles. This business ideas list also includes possibilities for full-time businesses and work-at-home businesses.
- Cleaning business: residential, commercial, windows, carpets, pressure washing
- Photography, video production, more ideas
- T shirt business (Platforms include Shopify and Teespring– Here’s my store!)
- Consulting (Blog post lists potential consulting gigs.)
- Landscaping and/or lawn care
- Property management, property preservation, and/or maintenance
- Catering or other food businesses, such as owning a food truck
- Baking business: cookies, cupcakes, wedding cakes, birthday cakes, bread, pastries
- Pet businesses: dog walking, pet sitting, grooming, boarding, breeding, training
- Construction: building new houses, offices, apartments, additions, container homes
- Home improvement and/or home repairs contracting
- Carpentry or woodworking [Special offer: Get 50 free woodworking plans ]
- Electrical services
- Masonry services, hardscaping services
- Window and door installation
- Handyman services [Video and book offer startup tips and success strategies]
- Aluminum and vinyl siding installation
- Event planning: wedding planning, birthdays, retirement, corporate events
- Conducting seminars, workshops, full- or part-time summer camps
- Vending machine business
- Retail: bricks and mortar, booth or kiosk rental, or creating an online store
- Making and selling jewelry
- eBay business
- Trucking, delivery services, junk hauling
- Transportation: taxi services, limousine services, party bus rental
- Owning/renting out apartments, condos, houses, duplexes, office space
- Real estate business and/or real estate marketing
- Baby sitting, child care, day care services
- Painting: interior/exterior/mural painting
- Interior decorating/ interior design
- Home staging
- Writing [Online workshop: “Freelance Writing Ultimate Success Blueprint”]
- Grant writing for non-profit organizations and government entities
- Public relations, marketing services, social media marketing management
- Freelance graphic design
- Web design
- Computer repair
- Buying and selling cell phones
- Buying/selling used books, thrift store finds, garage sale items, Craigslist bargains
- Bookkeeping, accounting, tax preparation
- Making/selling crafts
- Recycling business
- eCommerce business
- Fitness: personal training, gym business, gymnastics, yoga, fitness bootcamps
- Virtual assistant
- Personal assistant
- Life coach (certification program available)
- Medical transportation business (non emergency) Click here for details!
That’s the short, but updated version of some of my previous lists of side hustles, business ideas, and freelancing options. My most extensive list on this blog consists of 250 self-employment ideas.
Free online workshop: How to earn $5K a month or more as a freelance writer in the next 60 days: Register now
I hope this list has sparked some good side hustle ideas that will help supplement your income, raise your standard of living, or even evolve into a profitable full-time business.
Thanks for checking out my latest post; feel free to follow this blog for future updates and lists of side hustle jobs.
Freelance writer, Internet entrepreneur, Business blogger,