As I see it, there are two kinds of work-at-home businesses.
In a home-based business, your office is in your home, but you generally meet with clients or customers at their place of business, in their home, or at another location.
In the other type of home business, everything you do takes place in your home — often in front of your computer and on the phone. For people who consider themselves to be introverts, that can be the ideal way to make a living. Working at home can also be a good career path for professionals who are tired of commuting, being limited by the constraints of their job, and dealing with office politics.
At any rate, being a home-based entrepreneur can be a rewarding way to make money and take charge of your economic destiny.
Starting your own business or being self employed is certainly not a guaranteed ticket to financial security, but it does open doors and create possibilities. How you develop those potential opportunities is up to you.
Probably the two biggest challenges to launching an at-home business (or any business) is to first come up with a viable business idea and then implement an effective marketing plan to attract and retain clients. Without a steady stream of prospective and actual customers, even “the best laid plans of mice and men” will be doomed to failure!
50 Ideas For Starting Your Own Business
If you’re interested in starting a business but are still looking for ideas of what business to start, here’s a list of possibilities to consider. Many of them can be run out of your home.
- Commercial or residential cleaning services
- Lawn care
- Real estate business
- Academic tutoring, voice lessons, teaching guitar or piano
- Construction, home improvement, remodeling
- Making and selling jewelry
- Vending machine business
- Interior and exterior house painting
- Baking and selling cupcakes, cookies, muffins
- Clothing and/or fashion business
- Carpet cleaning
- Party planning, event planning, wedding planning
- Medical billing
- Daycare/ child care service
- Web design, graphic design, Internet marketing
- Handyman business
- Craft business
- Pressure washing
- Limousine service
- eBay business
- Gift baskets
- Tax preparation
- DJ business
- Junk removal
- Swimming pool cleaning and maintenance
- Life coaching
- Dropship business
- Resale business (buying stuff and selling it for a profit)
- Property management
- Sewing business
- Locksmith business
- House flipping business
- Window washing
- Flea market business
- Freight brokerage
- Hauling services
- Financial planning
- Decorating business
- Staffing services
- Professional organizing
- T-shirt business
- Pottery business
- Telephone answering service
- Mortgage or loan brokerage
- Home party business
Below, I’ve listed some informative articles, online guides, and free tools from Shopify* to help get you started in your own home-based business:
- How to Find a Product to Sell Online: Free 14-chapter guide
- 7 Ways to Start Your Own Business (without quitting your day job)
- How to Get Your First Sale in 30 Days
- Free tools to run your online business
- How to Start An Online T-Shirt Business
BTW… I’m always looking for new, unique, and viable business ideas to add to the list, so feel free to post a comment if you’d like to share your entrepreneurial success and experience with others. I also invite you to follow this blog to be notified when I post new home business ideas and self employment opportunities.
Thanks for checking out my latest blog post!
*Freelance writer, blogger, compensated affiliate